- Last Updated
- May 27, 2022
- Job Title
- Director of Operations
- Executive Director
- Keep track of equipment and supplies such as white canes, Braille books and kitchen supplies, and purchase new items when needed.
- Oversee logistics and facilities.
- Contribute to policy, procedure, and program development.
- Occasional other tasks as assigned by the division’s executive.
- Candidate must be legally blind.
- A degree, diploma or Certificate in business administration, logistics management, events coordination or a relevant combination of education and experiences that equate to at least two years.
- Experience in a relevant field of knowledge with blindness/DeafBlindness experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of Braille, adaptive speech and Braille technology, travel with the long white cane, and other aspects of blindness/DeafBlindness skills.
- Experience working with people who have various disabilities in conjunction with blindness such as physical challenges, learning disabilities, brain injuries and mental health conditions.
- Strong belief in and understanding of using problem solving to teach blindness/DeafBlindness skills and the centre’s positive approach to blindness/DeafBlindness.
- Willing to learn the structured discovery / problem-solving method of teaching used at the centre.
- Understanding of and ability to access books, websites, media, online classes and other resources.
- Must be detail oriented and possess effective organizational and basic research skills.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A willingness to be flexible.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner with the centre Community.
- Ability to provide supervision to improve overall program quality.
- Ability to make difficult decisions with composure, tact and dignity.
- Ability to maintain materials of a highly confidential nature.
- Ability to deal effectively with questions or problems, seeking assistance when needed.
- Ability to exhibit emotional control, patience and persistence in extremely stressful situations.
- Ability to make decisions using sound judgment with information at hand.
- Sensitivity to, and appreciation of, participants’ diverse backgrounds.
- A valid CPR/First Aid certificate is required.
- Willingness to get a valid Foodsafe certificate.